Elaborating My Favourite Quote | Part 5

by - 14:00


Wow, I haven't done one of these in a really long time. But don't fret, I haven't forgotten about this little series. Today I've got a good one, or at least I think so.
''There is hardly a single action that we perform in that phase which we would not give anything, in later life, to be able to annul. Whereas what we ought to regret is that we no longer posses the spontaneity which made us perform them. In later life we look at things in a more practical way, in full conformity with the rest of society, but adolescence is the only period in which we learn anything.'' Marcel Proust, Remembrance of Things Past

So, I've been reading Palo Alto and I came across this quote which I absolutely loved. Can you tell I'm an adolescent looking for affirmation and comfort?
Anyhow, I completely agree with Proust on this subject. I think when we're young we let ourselves make rash and stupid decisions and we tend to forget about the consequences from time to time, but when we get older that part of us gets dialled down by society. We don't have to age 10 or 20 years in order to regret some of our past decisions - when we're 17 we can just as easily wish to undo the things we did at 15 for an example. But the point stays the same -
 with age comes regret even though it shouldn't be that way. The author's right when he says that we should only regret the lack of spontaneity in our lives, because not every thing is supposed to be planned. I am a person who likes to have a plan or a schedule, but not sticking to the plan can feel pretty exhilarating sometimes, even if it leads to a bad ending or trouble. I think we need to remember to break the rules and let loose from time to time. And it's usually those decisions that teach us valuable life lessons.
Leave your favourite quotes in the comments below if you've got any, I'm interested to know. I love a good quote. This was quite an interesting post to write, so I might start doing these a bit more frequently. 
Bloglovin | Twitter | Tumblr

You May Also Like

4 comments

  1. Erlend Loe - Doppler:
    " . . . as long as there is skimmed milk there is hope."
    And every other line from the book, but it would be too long to put it in a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erlend Loe - Doppler:
    " . . . as long as there is skimmed milk there is hope."
    And every other line from the book, but it would be too long to put it in a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear, I'll keep it up then. xx

      Delete