January Recommendations | 2016

by - 14:00


I'm slightly late with there cause it's the 7th of February already, but better late than never. I've been a bit busy with school and life stuff, so I've deprived you of Thursday posts. They should be coming back soon as I'm finishing writing my thesis tomorrow. Let's get to the recommendations now.
○ January TV Show: Modern Family
I'm pretty sure you've all heard about this show because I am very late to the bandwagon. However, for the past few weeks I've been obsessed with it. I don't know how to begin explaining it. It's basically about a huge family that's full of diversities. There's Phil and Claire raising three kids - Haley (the popular girl), Alex (the nerdy one) and Luke (the youngest who's kind of a daddy's boy) - all very different from one another. Then we have Claire's dad Jay who's married to a Latina woman close to Claire's age and has got a son (Manny) from her first marriage. Lastly, Jay's son and Claire's brother (obviously) who's gay and has adopted an Asian girl Lily with his partner Cam. It can be a bit of a struggle to remember all of them and their relations, but regardless the show is hilarious. Because everyone is so different, it makes it really fun and exciting and they've got some really good jokes. Also, they seem to fall over a lot which is always the funniest thing. If you haven't yet, give it a try, you'll love it.
○ January Movie: Grease Live
Everyone has seen Grease and probably not just once, but this time it comes in a new version and it was all done live. I'm not gonna describe what it's about because I'm sure everyone knows. But Grease Live is a TV special where they remade the movie and did it all live in front of a crowd. It's amazing how good they were considering how quickly they had to change scenes and costumes and stay energetic. I highly recommend it if you like Grease.
○ January Book: Albert Camus - The Stranger
This is one of the few books I've had to read for school and actually ended up liking it. It's based on the philosophy of the absurd and existentialism. The main character is Meursault who makes the reader question their moral standards, I guess. Meursault is a very indifferent person, to the point where he doesn't pay much attention to his mother's death. He doesn't say much unless he thinks it necessary, which he rarely does, he doesn't care about his relationships with other people. He ends up committing a murder for which his only excuse is that he was too hot. Everyone judges him based on his indifference and amoral behaviour. I really liked the novel because it's written in a really simple style and it's easy to read, but there's so much more to it, there's a lot to think about and analyze. If you're looking for a book that will make you scratch your head and question some things, definitely give this a try. It's about a hundred pages long, so it will take a day or two to read, but will definitely leave an impression on you. 

That's all for this month. I'm off to watch some more Modern Family and write my thesis, so I'll talk to you next week (probably Sunday).
Bloglovin | Twitter | Tumblr

You May Also Like

0 comments