things i've learnt while going through some shit

by - 08:00

Get you a friend who makes you laugh like a crazy person.
Photo credits: the one and only _arabella_____
In my previous two posts, I briefly mentioned that I have recently been trying to get better after going through some tough times. As I have pretty much gotten back on my feet and I've been feeling very happy and grateful recently, I've decided to share some tips with you. Everyone goes through bad times, some worse than others, and everyone gets better. Here's what I've learned in the process. 

  • Friends are very important (so is family).
    When you are in a slump or in a rough patch, it's easy to close yourself off and not really want to hang out with anyone. However, hanging out with the people in your life who make you feel happy, comfortable and good about yourself is actually super helpful. If you have those people in your life who make you laugh and forget about your problems, you're lucky and you should appreciate them. Don't forget about people just because you're going through something. Invest time in them, you won't regret it.
  • Music is SO therapeutic!
    You may have noticed that I've talked about music a lot on here for the past few months. And it's not only because those kinds of posts take less time than longer ones. Music has actually been an essential part of lifting my mood. Back in January, I discovered some new music and that was one of the few things that made me feel good. I started appreciating it more than ever as it really helped me forget my worries and just enjoy life for a few minutes. I actually posted the playlist that made me feel a bit more alive on here back then. I don't guarantee that the music I listen to will help you, but surely you can find something that makes you dance and feel something. The two songs that made me super happy were Sunflower and Best Friend by Rex Orange County and I think I'll always have a special place in my heart for them because of that.
  • Writing is also therapeutic. As I'm someone who doesn't really like talking about feelings, what I tend to do instead is write about them. When I'm feeling overwhelmed or sad or anything of the sort, I turn to my journal. If writing isn't your forte, you can turn to any art form you prefer, I promise it will help. Turn the emotions into something more productive. And if you are someone who prefers to talk, then do that. Just get it out somehow.
  • Wine helps, but only temporarily - don't ignore your feelings.
  • Learn to be grateful for what you have. I have been trying to get more into the Law of Attraction and a big part of that is being grateful. If you aren't interested in the Law of Attraction, that is fine, but you should still be grateful for all the good things in your life. When you're in a dark place, it can be pretty difficult to see that you actually have a lot of good things going for you. There's always something to be grateful for. Even the smallest things - breathing, food, being able to see, hear, walk, having friends, having a family, being healthy, the people you love being healthy, and so on and so on. My point is: get a pen and write down all the little things you are happy and grateful to have in your life. Putting things into perspective like that will definitely help you see the brighter side of life.
  • The cliché is true - you should do more of what makes you happy. Don't stress about the trivial things in life that really have little to no effect on you. Instead of worrying and stressing about stupid things without any reason, focus on good music, good food, good people and having a good time. Write, dance, paint, read, go for a walk, go for coffee with your best friend. Don't spend the day with your laptop if that doesn't actually make you happy. Go out, get some fresh air and reach out to friends. Commit to your hobbies. If you don't have a hobby, find one. Wear what you like and do what you like. And most importantly, don't care about what other people think about that. Focus on your happiness (as long as it doesn't hurt others, so maybe you should care a little bit).
  • Meditation helps. Find some good guided meditations on YouTube or get an app that's made for meditation. It will make you relax, feel better and if all else fails, it will at least help you fall asleep. I love meditating before going to bed and since I started doing that, I don't toss and turn before falling asleep anymore. It calms me down 10/10 times. Get your headphones and relax.
  • You'll be happy again, nothing lasts forever. I know it seems like things will never get better and you'll always feel this way, but that is just not true. Even if you can't see it now, you should keep that in mind. Convince yourself that it's true because it is. Time will do its thing and you'll eventually get back to normal. Just be patient and work on yourself.
  • You really should take care of your health.
I hope these help and I hope you don't feel like throwing up after reading all these clichés, but believe it or not, these things are all true and do all help. Remember, you'll get through this! As my current obsession Rex Orange County would say - Sunflower still grows at night. 
Bloglovin | Twitter | Tumblr

You May Also Like

0 comments