Instagram Detox

by - 08:00

First of all, I think we can agree that the award for the most consistent blogger deffo belongs to me, thank you. Now that's out of the way, we can begin.
I don't know about you, but I've been having some concentration issues for a while. I've realised that it probably stems from the fact that I'm constantly getting quick and instant news, posts and photos on social media and I am used to everything being so fast paced. My biggest addiction was none other than Instagram. I'd been spending way too much time on there and opening the app countless times a day. It started annoying me because it became an instinctual thing that I did whenever I grabbed my phone. In order to prove myself a point and make sure that a little app didn't have too much control over my life, towards the end of January I decided to stop using it. I wanted to be realistic so my goal was to refrain from using Instagram for a week. The only thing I still used were messages, but I kept it to a minimum. 
Strangely enough, I didn't find it difficult at all. It actually felt quite freeing and I loved knowing that it was me that was in control, and not Instagram. I loved that I just decided to stop and I stopped. It was that simple. I removed it from my home screen and I forbid myself to give in. Once the week was up, I spent about 20 minutes catching up with all the posts that I had missed. Ever since I did the detox, I've found myself reaching for Instagram much much less often. I still don't have it on my home screen and I try not to let it gain back its power. At least now I know that I could easily live without it and not really notice a big difference in my life. 
Mowing forward, I want to continue not using Instagram (or my phone in general) when I'm in someone's company because I find that very rude and annoying. I also wanna stop staring at the screen when I'm walking somewhere and when I'm in public transportation (unless I'm extremely bored). 
As for my focus, apparently I can't blame it entirely on Instagram. I still struggled with it, but at least I had one less distraction to worry about. 
I would 100% recommend taking a break from Instagram or Twitter or whatever it is that is taking up your time and not really providing you with anything but a quick fix of fun. It's silly to let something as small as an app consume so much of your time, energy and focus. A break is a really, really good thing for your mind and feels pretty exhilarating.
Bloglovin | Twitter | Tumblr

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Turning the push notifications off from Instagram helped me a lot. I now go only when I'm bored, not each not a DM arrives.
    In public transportation I use my phone to read books with apps like google books, gutenberg and similar. I find them very useful because I do not have to carry heavy paper books in my bag all day - those are now reserved for bed only *-*

    ReplyDelete