A Few Tips for Analytical Reading (or studying)

by - 14:00

Lately all I've been reading are books for school, which are supposed to be analysed, not enjoyed. So, I've collected some tips that will help you analyse a book if you need to. 
1. Get a notebook that you will keep by your side the whole time you're reading the book. 
2. Get a pen/pencil to also keep by your side.
3. Once you've got all the things you need, you can start reading. If you have specific questions given that you should answer, or a topic to write about, write that down in your notebook.
4. When you start reading, try to focus on the important things that are related to your questions (if you have them) and use your pen to underline the things you might need to come back to. You can also mark the pages with sticky notes. 
5. If it's a hefty book (something like Tolstoy), I recommend making a lost of characters and maybe a little sum up of their personalities or important details about them.
6. If you don't have any questions or guidelines given, but you're supposed to analyse the whole book, I would make lots of notes about the characters and key situations. 
7. A huge tip is to write down quotes. Quotes are the most important part, I feel like, because they will help you out a lot in forming your own opinion on the book and understanding the ideas behind them. If I come across a quote that I think is a great summary of a character for an example, I immediately write it down and make a few notes of my own about it, just to remember why I wrote it down. Also, they're great for justifying your opinions or proving a point.
8. If you don't want to write quotes down, you can underline them or mark the page they're on. 
9. Instead of the notebook, you can use your computer if that's easier for you, but I prefer a notebook because I can carry it around with me.

I hope these tips made sense and they can help you out. Leave some of your tips in the comments and I'll talk to you Sunday.
Bloglovin | Twitter | Tumblr

You May Also Like

0 comments